KANSAS CITY – We are almost halfway through the first round of the 2022 NFL Draft and there are still plenty of good players that also fit what the Chiefs need in 2022.
Below are the top-5 players that are still on the board after the Eagles selected Jordan Davis at 13th overall:
- WR George Pickens – The former Bulldog is considered to be one of the best receivers in the draft, but an ACL injury limited his 2021 season and essentially put him on the back burner entering the draft. Pickens can play both the X and Y positions, which adds to an already diverse Chiefs receiver corps.
- CB Kaiir Elam – The Chiefs need help at cornerback and Elam has the traits to be an effective player in both zone coverage and man coverage. He is long, fast, and tough and has the pedigree most teams want coming out of college.
- EDGE George Karlaftis – Purdue’s best pass rusher has yet to come off the board and there are a few pundits who think he could drop to KC at 29. We’ll see if that’s how it plays out, but the Chiefs will be elated if they can land him in the draft.
- CB Trent McDuffie – McDuffie is considered a top-3 corner in this draft. If he can somehow fall to the Chiefs, that would be a major win. It’s unlikely, but anything is possible in the first round.
- EDGE Jermaine Johnson II – Are you starting to sense a trend, here? It’s clear that the Chiefs to find a solution at corner and at EDGE in this draft. Johnson certainly helps the latter, but it will be a surprise if he lasts until 29.
Granted, keep in mind the Chiefs have plenty of draft picks to move up in the first round and we have seen three trades up until this point. If they really want any of these guys, they can go get them.
Featured image via Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports