The Green Bay Packers (5-8) are on a much-needed bye week. Following a five-game losing streak, they are 2-2 in their last four games.
While the NFC North is likely out of reach, they are still very much alive for a wild card spot in the playoff standings. Sitting 2.5 games behind the Seattle Seahawks for the seventh seed.
The top five teams in the standings likely aren’t going anywhere.
However, the five closely attached teams ahead of Green Bay could easily sway the standings this weekend.
- Sixth seed: The New York Giants (7-4-1) own the tie breaker over the Packers. Having beaten them in London earlier this year. However, they’ve lost/tied four of their last five games and have the hardest remaining schedule in the NFL. Starting with the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday.
- Seventh seed: You never know how a season is going to end up but Seattle Seahawks (7-5) are alive for the playoffs despite coming into 2022 as an afterthought. However, they also have a tough schedule with the Chiefs, 49ers and Jets still on schedule. This weekend they go up against the Panthers who have won two of their last three, including the subsequent return of QB Sam Darnold.
- The Washington Commanders (7-5-1) are playing excellent football as of late. Having won three of their last four (finished in a tie on Sunday) and are one of the league’s hottest teams. Luckily, they are also on bye this week before a rematch with the Giants next weekend.
- Good news is the Packers have split the season series with the Detroit Lions (5-7), but at the moment, they have the better division record (2-1). Now they’ll face a Minnesota Vikings team, winners of two straight, who can lock up the NFC North with the help of their record setting WR.
- Finally, we get to the Atlanta Falcons (5-8). Currently, the Falcons own the tie breaker over the Green Bay Packers due to strength of victory. However, they’ve lose four of their last five and will take on a New Orleans Saints team. A Saints team who not only won the first matchup in week one, but are coming off the heels of a late-game comeback after dominating the Buccaneers for most of the game. Unfortunately, they are also on bye, so Packers fans will need to wait a week for this.
It’s not impossible to think the Green Bay Packers could move closer into the standings this weekend. Even closing the gap between them and the sixth seed.
The Packers finally are getting their bye week, playing some much better football as of late. They get a chance to rest for these final four games, which are all winnable.
Even though they will need some help to get there, this weekend is a great start.
Mandatory Credit: Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports