Brian Schottenheimer provides update on Dallas Cowboys quarterback battle that recently took a turn

The Dallas Cowboys are still figuring out who will back up franchise quarterback Dak Prescott. And based on Brian Schottenheimer’s latest comments, it will be a fun close to the preseason.

Mauricio Rodriguez Dallas Cowboys News Writer
Add as preferred source on Google
Aug 15, 2026; Seattle, Washington, USA; Dallas Cowboys quarterback Joe Milton III (10) during the game against the Seattle Seahawks at Lumen Field.
Aug 15, 2026; Seattle, Washington, USA; Dallas Cowboys quarterback Joe Milton III (10) during the game against the Seattle Seahawks at Lumen Field. Steven Bisig-Imagn Images

The Dallas Cowboys surprised fans and media members with the decision to start Sam Howell at quarterback on Saturday’s preseason opener against the Seattle Seahawks. It was the first sign of a pecking order since head coach Brian Schottenheimer announced an open competition to back up Dak Prescott between Howell and Joe Milton.

And still, the motivation behind the decision remained unclear. Was this about learning more from Howell? Or did they simply like his play in training camp better? On Monday, Schottenheimer provided clarity.

Schottenheimer on Cowboys QB2 battle

“We felt like Sam had been a little bit more consistent,” Schottenheimer told reporters. “Sam got the start, we communicated that to Joe, and Joe took it very matter-of-factly and went out there and play terrific.”

So there you have it. At least entering the preseason opener, Howell had an advantage over Milton. That’s no small thing considering we didn’t know much about what the depth chart was looking like in the eyes of the coaching staff.

The only problem? The battle is quickly getting blurry because both quarterbacks played so well. Both Howell and Milton made my list of “winners” preseason opener win over the Seattle Seahawks.

Schottenheimer said Monday both played very well but added a significant shoutout for Milton.

“Both guys moved the team but I thought Joe was maybe in the best command of our system that he’s been in since he’s been here,” Schottenheimer said. “I told him after the game how proud I was of him for that.”

So who will get the start next Saturday?

Schottenheimer offered an inconclusive update on that front.

“They’re competing again to see [who starts] this week,” Schottenheimer said. “I’ll let you know when we make that decision.”

So no final decision but a clear update: the Cowboys battle for backup quarterback is still wide open.

In other words, Howell getting the nod as a starter in the opener isn’t guaranteeing him the same spot on the depth chart a week later. And Milton, despite being demoted for one week, still has a chance to re-claim the job that was his in 2025. It’s an old-fashioned preseason quarterback battle and based on what we saw over the weekend, a fun one.

The Cowboys take on the Arizona Cardinals next Saturday night at 9 p.m. CT.

Play A to Z Daily Games