Miami Dolphins labeled a ‘best fit’ for a notable veteran, and it makes no sense whatsoever

The Dolphins do not need to make a significant investment in a spot they’re not hurting.

Craig Smith College Football & NFL Trending News Writer
Add as preferred source on Google
Nov 9, 2025; Landover, Maryland, USA; Detroit Lions offensive tackle Penei Sewell (L) celebrates with Lions offensive tackle Taylor Decker (68) while leaving the field after their game against the Washington Commanders at Northwest Stadium. Geoff Burke-Imagn Images

The 2026 NFL Draft and primary free agency period are both now behind us, and with OTAs getting underway, the focus of the Miami Dolphins and the rest of the league is primarily molding the rosters they have into the best versions of themselves for next season.

That said, there are a number of notable free agents still out there, and teams aren’t totally done supplementing their rosters.

With that said, ESPN writer Matt Bowen picked “best fits” for 14 remaining notable free agents. Former Detroit Lions OT Taylor Decker was called a best fit with the Dolphins, and frankly, it doesn’t make all that much sense.

Miami Dolphins tabbed by ESPN as a ‘best fit’ for former Lions OT Taylor Decker

“Decker had an 89.3% pass block win rate in 2025 with Detroit, the second-lowest rate of his 10-year career,” Bowen wrote. “If he can prove to be healthy, however, he has the toughness and intangibles to win a starting role with most NFL teams.

“In Miami, Decker would compete for the left tackle spot with third-year pro Patrick Paul. The Dolphins drafted former Alabama left tackle Kadyn Proctor last month, but he is expected to slot in at left guard in 2026.”

Well, first, let’s get down to brass taxes here. The Dolphins are dead last in the NFL in cap space ($1.54 million) and effective cap space ( negative $8.29 million) according to Over The Cap. As a point of reference, Spotrac projects Decker’s market value at over $21 million (AAV) for 2026. So, from a financial perspective, absent some extreme contract restructuring/cap maneuvering, they don’t have the realistic ability to sign him.

And even if they did, Miami made it clear what they think of their offensive tackle situation when Jon-Eric Sullivan revealed they’re starting off first-round draft pick Proctor at left guard next to Paul. Clearly, they have a high enough opinion of both Paul and RT Austin Jackson this upcoming season that they’re comfortable with letting Proctor start off his career inside.

Spending money on a veteran who will command a healthy contract like Decker will just to compete at a position that’s not a major worry are dollars not well spent. That’s particularly the case where every precious bit of money/cap space needs to go towards addressing depth across the roster with some bargain type of pickups during training camp and the preseason.